- Canaan Historical Society, Inc.
Maintains the Historical Society building (the former Presbyterian Church) and provides programs on local history during the summer.
Contact: Tammy Flaherty
- Red Rock Historical Society
- PO Box 50, East Chatham, NY 12060
Contact: Ginny Nightingale or Nancy Cuddihy
Phone: 392-2286 or 392-6065
- The Columbia County Historical Society
- 5 Albany Ave., PO Box 311, Kinderhook, NY 12106
The Columbia County Historical Society is a private, not-for-profit organization dedicated to the preservation and promotion of the history of Columbia County, NY. The Society owns and operates three historic properties, open to the public during the summer season, and a museum, open year-round. All of the properties are in Kinderhook: The Columbia County Museum, the James Vanderpoel House, and the Luykas Van Alen House.
- Canaan Congregational Church
- The corner of Route 295 and County Route 5
PO Box 66, Canaan, NY 12029
- Flat Brook Baptist Church
- PO Box 175, 13091 Route 22, Canaan, NY 12029
An Independent Evangelical Church
10:00 AM Sunday School, 11:00 AM Church
Prayer Meeting on Wednesday evenings, 7:00 PM
- Karuna Tendai Dharma Center
- 1525 Route 295, Canaan, NY 12029
Offers weekly meditation services, lectures, retreats, workshops, and Buddhist weddings, house blessings, purifications, funerals, etc.
- New Concord Reformed Church
- 2689 County Route 9, New Concord, NY 12060
9:00 AM Sunday Service
- Transport For Christ Mobile Chapel
- B-3 Truck Stop, Canaan, NY 12029
9:00 AM to 9:00 PM, Mondays through Saturdays
5:30 PM Sunday service
- The Crellin-Morris Association
- PO Box 8, Chatham, NY 12037
CMA operates a community park and a youth center in Chatham as well as a number of youth sports programs, including Chatham gold track and field, an after school and summer recreation program, a swim team, and a soccer league; CMA also co-sponsors the CYO basketball league. More than 500 children benefit from these programs each year. CMA also hosts the Ray Barbutti Annual Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving Day and the Old Chatham 5K race, which is CMA's yearly fundraising event. CMA relies on volunteers to help administer these programs.
- Family Survival of Columbia County
- PO Box 319, Chatham, New York
Family Survival is a program for children six and under and their parents or caretakers. Playgroups meet once or twice weekly in various locations. The closest to Canaan is Chatham, in the Clair Winans Center at Morris Memorial, 21 Park Row: Tuesday and Thursday, 9:30-11:30 from October through May.
- Adams Point Beach Association
- PO Box 154, Canaan, NY 12029
Non-profit that runs the beach at Queechy Lake. Become an annual member for summerlong beach access, or buy daily beach passes at the Canaan Corner Deli. Rates for annual membership vary from year to year, but reduced-rate memberships are available for those in need of them.
Contact: Donna Knight
- Columbia County 4-H
- Web site
Run by the Cooperative Extension Office
Contact: Linda Earley
- Columbia County Real Food Network
- PO Box 76
Chatham, NY 12037
The Real Food Network fosters connections between local consumers and the products and people of our local farms and kitchens. Dedicated workers run a distribution system and provide a periodic product list from which consumers can order local food. A project of Community Agriculture of Columbia County, a non-profit organization dedicated to developing a sustainable localized food system.
Contact: Marcie Gardner
Phone: 392-3494, fax 392-1929
- Cornell Cooperative Extension of Columbia County
- 479 Route 66, Hudson, NY 12534
Cornell Cooperative Extension of Columbia County provides high quality, research-based information to the people of Columbia County. We have an extensive number of bulletins, fact sheets, and other informational resources available at our local office
- Canaan Conservation Club
- 779 Frisbee Street, PO Box 363, Canaan, NY 12029
Sponsors the annual Ice Fishing Derby on Queechy Lake (February) and the Iliff Shatney Fishing Derby for Kids at Stoddard Pond (May). Handgun courses, basic firearms courses, bow shoots and more.
Upcoming events: September 21, sporting clays & horseshoes; October 5, bowshoot; & October 26, turkey shoot and raffle.
Contact: President: David Patzwahl
- Canaan Rifle Club
- PO Box 373, 162 Old Hudson Turnpike, Canaan, NY 12029
A 200 yard Rifle and Pistol Range. Meetings are held the first Sunday of each month at 7:00 PM.
Contact: John Stelling
- Alcoholics Anonymous
- 1647 County Route 5 at the Canaan Town Hall
AA offers meetings twice a week in Canaan as well as in nearby Chatham, Ghent, and New Lebanon.
Canaan meeting information from NY AA Web site